September 23-24, 2017
Brain science is providing us with exciting new frameworks to think about how we view, treat and manage our work as a healing professional. In this seminar we will explore what somatic medicine and social, cognitive and contemplative neuroscience has discovered that might present a paradigm shift in how we think about and approach illness September 23 & 24, 2017, Sat & Sun 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM Instructors: Mark Brady PhD & Craig Weiner DC.
Whether affected by genetics, early development, diet, or our social and physical environments – health challenges operate on structural vulnerabilities in the brain and body in very similar ways. We will explore a wide range of elements that brain science and clinical practice suggest might be beneficially incorporated into our own personal development as a healer/physician in addition to the work we do with clients. Beginning with a detailed look at research findings as recent as this year, e.g. the workings of the glymphatic system and its role in removing neurotoxic waste products during sleep, we will take an increasingly wider view at a variety of ways to bring balance and an integrated perspective that can return the healer to the modern medical office.
Over the course of the day attendees will:
- Discover which elements of the directive, “Physician, heal thyself” are essential in order to effectively facilitate healing.
- Learn how research areas like Neuroenergetic Theory can serve healers in helping patients become increasingly resilient.
- Discover why not knowing recent research on how the brain works dooms many potentially healing possibilities.
- Understand how framing healing as a Wicked Problem might make you the go-to healing professional.
- Determine how learning to ask “Beautiful Questions” can provide an expanded understanding of illness origins and treatment options.
- Explore possibilities for how Narrative Medicine can transform the healer/patient relationship.
- Learn how paying attention to “Practice Peculiarities” can be directional signals for great career fulfillment.
Course note: Familiarity with books like Mind Over Medicine, The Body Keeps the Score, The Undefeated Mind, The Mavericks of Medicine and The Body Bears the Burden will be helpful, but not necessary.
One hour lunch break – Bring a sack lunch or eat in Bastyr’s dining commons.
Bastyr University Kenmore Campus, room #131. Bastyr University is housed in an older facility with fluctuating interior temperatures; it is advisable to wear layers. Also, Bastyr is a “fragrance-free” campus.
Eligible for 9 CEUs, CMEs for the following professions:
- ND (except those licensed in CA & OR)
- MD & PA – Category II CMEs (those licensed in WA)
- ARNP & RN (licensed in WA)
- LMFT, LMHC, LICSW & PsyD (licensed in WA)
- Eligibility Pending: RD – ADA CPEU
Mark Brady, PhD
Mark Brady is a transpersonal neurobiologist who spent 10 years as a cultural anthropologist hanging out with Nobel Prize winners and MacArthur Geniuses at one of the nation’s premier think tanks: The Center for Advanced Study at Stanford (under deep cover as the maintenance man!). He holds two master’s degrees and a PhD in psychology. He has spent most of his adult life attempting to marry science to spirituality, health and well-being. His research has mostly focused on how vulnerabilities of body and brain contribute unwittingly to human suffering. He’s been writing the weekly Flowering Brain neuroscience blog – where he translates formal scientific research into meaningful English – for nearly ten years. Website: floweringbrain.wordpress.com
Craig Weiner, DC
Craig Weiner is an integrative mind body health consultant and practitioner. His professional experience includes working for 25 years as a chiropractor/somatic practitioner and as an international trainer in the field of Energy Psychology as an EFT and Matrix Reimprinting trainer and as a META Health practitioner. He is a lecturer, contributing author, Huff Post blogger and currently finds his greatest passion is in mentoring health care practitioners in finding or re-inventing themselves and their practices to be of the greatest service to themselves and their clients and patients. Master EFT Trainer AAMET and EFT Universe Certified and Private Business Coaching: Master EFT Trainer AAMET and EFT Universe Certified and Private Business Coaching: http://www.efttappingtraining.com / 360 661-6877. Co-Director, EFT Marketing and Business Academy www.EFTMBA.com. Co-Creator, Tapping Out of Trauma CE Training www.TappingOutofTrauma.com.
Click here to contact us with any questions.