EFT Tapping Research; The Science of Tapping
EFT, Energy Psychology and Tapping Studies, Abstracts, Papers, and Articles with Editor’s Note Summaries (by Craig Weiner, DC)
This is one of the most comprehensive collection of EFT/Tapping related published research abstracts and full papers in a single location. It is continually updated. Editor’s notes provided by Craig Weiner, DC, provide a brief synopsis of each paper and further details are best obtained by reading the full paper and if unable to obtain, then to review the paper abstract.
Articles/Papers listed may be found in multiple categories, according to relevant subject headings.
Articles/Papers may be available:
- As a Free Abstract
- As a Free Full Research Paper (Some are downloadable PDFs that require the user to have Adobe Acrobat Reader) or
- Commonly it is required that to obtain the full research paper you need to purchase it via the link to the publisher.
Abstracts/Papers appear in a wide variety of publications, many though not all of which are peer reviewed journals, not all of which can be found on PubMed searches.
Each research paper listed is on this Table of Contents Page with a Description of the Paper and its Citation (title, authors and publication information) with a link to a Unique Study Page.
Each Unique Study Page offers a study Description, Citation, Abstract and Editor’s Summary Notes (Based upon Abstracts or Full Papers (when available to this editor reviewer) and Original Papers when available.
Some full papers/PDFs have been made available as slightly revised editions by the author which may vary from the original journal publication rendition.
Milestones in Worldwide Acceptance of EFT and EFT Published Research
- Nov. 2021 a select committee led by Peta Stapleton, PhD and approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) was created to evaluate EFT by the APA for inclusion on their evidence based psychological treatments website
- 2020 EFT approved under the National Insurance Disability Scheme (NDIS) for therapy in Australia
- 2020 Australian Psychological Society features EFT during National Psychology Week as emerging approach for pain
- 2020 APA journal (USA) published EFT cortisol replication study
- 2020 A major review of psychological treatments for PTSD – Energy psychology (combined somatic/cognitive therapies) was the 2nd most effective at reducing PTSD symptoms at the end of treatment to waitlist (after EMDR which was found to be most effective). Further, energy psychology had the greatest cost savings over no treatment, followed by EMDR, trauma-focused CBT and then other treatments
- 2019 Blue Knot Foundation for (trauma) includes EFT in PTSD clinical guidelines in Australia
- In 2019, EFT was approved for use within the South Korean medical system
- 2018 – N.I.C.E. (UK) acknowledge the body of EFT research, deem it worthy of government funding and in economic modelling indicated it was highly cost effective
- 2018 EFT was approved as “generally safe” by the US Veterans Administration
- 2018 EFT International and ACEP (Association of Comprehensive Energy Psychology) made a joint submission of the research evidence for EFT and TFT as treatments for PTSD to NICE (the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) in the UK. NICE has created a specific category for EFT, TFT and Somatic Experiencing called “CSACTS” (Combined Somatic and Cognitive Therapies) and acknowledged as “worthy of further research”
- In 2017, the U.S. Veterans Administration (V.A.) added EFT to List 2, approving it as a “generally safe therapy”
Six Sessions of Emotional Freedom Techniques Remediate One Veteran’s Combat-Related Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Citation: Minewiser L. Six Sessions of Emotional Freedom Techniques Remediate One Veteran’s Combat-Related Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Med Acupunct. 2017 Aug 1;29(4):249-253. doi: 10.1089/acu.2017.1216. PMID: 28874927; PMCID: PMC5576207. Link to Full Paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5576207/ Abstract Background: Reports show high rates of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in Veterans who served in the Gulf Wars. Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT)…
Comparison of efficacy of eye movement desensitization and reprocessing of emotional freedom technique and cognitive-behavioral therapy in PTSD in covid-19
Citation: akbari, M., Aghdasi, A., Panah ali, A., Azemodeh, M., naghdi sadeh, R. (2023). Comparison of efficacy of eye movement desensitization and reprocessing of emotional freedom technique and cognitive-behavioral therapy in PTSD in covid-19. Journal of Modern Psychological Researches, 18(69), -. doi: 10.22034/jmpr.2023.16246 Source: https://psychologyj.tabrizu.ac.ir/article_16246.html?lang=en Abstract This study compared the effectiveness of eye movement desensitization and reprocessing…
Citation: Wittfoth D, Beise J, Manuel J, Bohne M, Wittfoth M. Bifocal emotion regulation through acupoint tapping in fear of flying. Neuroimage Clin. 2022;34:102996. doi: 10.1016/j.nicl.2022.102996. Epub 2022 Mar 30. PMID: 35378497; PMCID: PMC8980501. Full Paper available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35378497/ Abstract Very few studies have investigated the neural underpinnings of bifocal-multisensory interventions such as acupoint tapping…
Wittfoth D, Pfeiffer A, Bohne M, Lanfermann H, Wittfoth M. Emotion regulation through bifocal processing of fear inducing and disgust inducing stimuli. BMC Neurosci. 2020 Nov 23;21(1):47. doi: 10.1186/s12868-020-00597-x. PMID: 33225884; PMCID: PMC7681990. Full Paper can be accessed at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7681990/ Abstract Background: We present first-time evidence for the immediate neural and behavioral effects of bifocal emotional…
Feasibility and effect of emotional freedom therapy on sleep quality in patients with end-stage renal disease receiving maintenance hemodialysis: A pilot study
Citation: Tang, X., Wang, L., Ni, S., Wu, M., Hu, S., & Zhang, L. (2023). Feasibility and effect of emotional freedom therapy on sleep quality in patients with end-stage renal disease receiving maintenance hemodialysis: A pilot study. Geriatric nursing (New York, N.Y.), 51, 112–120. Advance online publication. Link to Publication and Full Paper: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0197457223000538?via%3Dihub Abstract: …
The Effect of Emotional Freedom Technique on Fatigue among Women with Multiple Sclerosis: A Randomized Controlled Trial
Citation: Ghaderi Z, Nazari F, Shaygannejad V. The Effect of Emotional Freedom Technique on Fatigue among Women with Multiple Sclerosis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2021 Oct 22;26(6):531-536. doi: 10.4103/ijnmr.IJNMR_188_19. PMID: 34900653; PMCID: PMC8607895. Pubmed Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34900653/ Abstract Background: This study aimed to investigate the effect of Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) on…
Live psychotherapy by video versus in-person: A meta-analysis of efficacy and its relationship to types and targets of treatment
Craig’s Note: This paper did not include EFT as an intervention but is offered to address the therapeutic comparison of therapeutic measures in in-person vs over video-delivered mechanisms. Citation: Fernandez E, Woldgabreal Y, Day A, Pham T, Gleich B, Aboujaoude E. Live psychotherapy by video versus in-person: A meta-analysis of efficacy and its relationship…
Effects on Anxiety and Vital Signs of the Emotional Freedom Technique and Music Before Surgery for Lumbar Disc Hernia
Citation: Cici, Remziye & Özkan, Meral. (2021). Effects on Anxiety and Vital Signs of the Emotional Freedom Technique and Music Before Surgery for Lumbar Disc Hernia. Alternative therapies in health and medicine. 28. Link to Full Text Abstract: Context: Patients hospitalized for surgical treatment for lumbar disc herniation (LDH) are adversely affected psychologically, with fury,…
Citation: The Effect of Thought Field Therapy on Dental Fear among Saudi Women during Restorative Treatment, Alawdah, A., AlHabdan, A., Almejrad, L. EC Dental Science, Cronicon Open Access Research Article 2021 Link to free full paper: http://www.tftfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/ECDE-20-01660.pdf Abstract Background: This study aimed to evaluate the moderating effect of Thought Field Therapy (TFT) on dental fear…
Citation: Feinstein D. Uses of Energy Psychology Following Catastrophic Events. Front Psychol. 2022 Apr 25;13:856209. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2022.856209. PMID: 35548526; PMCID: PMC9084314. Pubmed Link to full free Paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9084314/ Abstract: Energy psychology, as most widely practiced, integrates the manual stimulation of acupuncture points with imaginal exposure, cognitive restructuring, and other evidence-based psychotherapeutic procedures. Efficacy for energy…
Citation: Feinstein, David. (2008). Energy Psychology in Disaster Relief. Traumatology. 14. 127-139. 10.1177/1534765608315636. Link for free full paper PDF: https://www.academia.edu/73123548/Energy_psychology_in_disaster_relief Abstract Energy psychology utilizes cognitive operations such as imaginal exposure to traumatic memories or visualization of optimal performance scenarios—combined with physical interventions derived from acupuncture, yoga, and related systems—for inducing psychological change. While a controversial…
The Manual Stimulation of Acupuncture Points in the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Review of Clinical Emotional Freedom Techniques
Citation: Church D, Feinstein D. The Manual Stimulation of Acupuncture Points in the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Review of Clinical Emotional Freedom Techniques. Med Acupunct. 2017 Aug 1;29(4):194-205. doi: 10.1089/acu.2017.1213. PMID: 28874920; PMCID: PMC5580368. Pubmed Link to Entire Paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5580368/ Abstract: Background: The manual stimulation of acupuncture points has been combined with components of…